Check this out

For the first time in I can’t remember how long…

And yes, I know that’s a highly subjective measurement of the passage of time…

I took a day off.

I spent my entire Sunday not thinking about work. About the City of Waterloo. About my next automotive article. About what still needs to be done in my house.

And I gotta say that it was nice.

Awhile back, a bunch of us got tickets to today’s NFL football game between the San Diego Chargers and the Buffalo Bills. I borrowed a big ole SUV for the six of us, we got up bright and early (actually, pre-bright and too early) and had a blast of a day. We stopped for breakfast in Niagara, crossed the border with zero issues (the border guard was super nice), and wandered the grounds for a couple of hours before the game. Then we found our seats and watched some football.

And oh yeah, it was cold. It was very, very cold. A bit of snow. A lot of cold. Bone-chilling cold. Wind-blowing-right-through-your-pants cold. I-can’t-feel-my-toes cold.

The temperature was probably somewhere around -3 Celsius, but the wind chill was the killer. I suspect that was dropping the temperature to about -10. And while I’ve been in colder than that, it’s a lot to take when you’re sitting on a metal bench for 3-4 hours.

So as much fun as the game was, we were quite relieved to get back into the SUV and warm up after the game. Found a restaurant to have dinner at, then crossed the border and returned to KW.

Twas a good day with five good friends.

So what am I doing now? Watching football. And it struck me that I actually put zero thought into my many responsibilities from the moment I woke this morning until I got home.

And wow, that felt good.

In other news, there’s a Battle of the Bards this Friday. Same time, same place, and if you’re free you should come, cuz it’s our last show of 2006 and it’s gonna be fun.



  1. yeah, my boy said he had a good time. Apart from his foot injury and beer issue, that is. 😉

Comments are closed.