Has it been ten days already?

Wow, time flies when you’re having fun. Actually it’s been between 9-10 days, but whatever. It just came and went like a blur.

As always, I’ve had an enjoyable time on the West Coast. And now it’s time to go home to Kitchener-Waterloo, so that I can get on with 2008.

I haven’t applied for that great job, yet. I prepared a resume, then discovered that the online submission process only accepts Word documents and text files, not PDF files. So there goes all the great page layout and formatting that I applied. Ah well, at least I was just tweaking from an earlier version. I guess I’ll apply when I get back to Ontario.

I find myself a little conflicted about the job, to be honest. I don’t really expect them to meet my conditions, so I probably won’t get an interview, but I wonder what will happen if they do. It’s really a great opportunity, but is it the best path to serve my long-term goals?

I’m not going to answer that. I’d rather wait until I’m faced with the decision. Up until the moment comes, you’re just trying to rationalize things with logic and emotion. You’re overthinking the decision, trying to explore the ins and the outs.

When it happens, you just have to know what you’re going to do, and make the decision with your heart. I don’t mean to say that the decision is entirely emotional…it should just feel like the right thing to do.

I’ve been faced with the decision before, on at least two similar occasions. The first was when I was accepted to St. Michaels University School, and was suddenly faced with the choice of staying in Squamish or leaving for SMUS to finish high school. As difficult as it was to leave my family and friends–the only home I had ever known–I knew that I had to go.

Two years later I was accepted at the University of Waterloo. I had intended to go to either McMaster University or the University of Victoria, and was completely surprised at the UW acceptance. Again, I knew what had to be done.

In both cases, I took the paths that seemed to offer the best future, and I’ve no regrets. But in this case, things might be different.

On one hand, I’m faced with a fairly certain future in which I stay in KW, get my MBA, and build upon my existing career. Not too shabby.

On the other hand, I can abandon it entirely to move to Vancouver and take on what could be an exciting opportunity, but with a limited duration and ceiling. Would it enable to me jump to other things afterward? I can’t say for sure. I’d probably go off and get my MBA afterward, in which case it would be little more than a detour from my current plans. Although it wouldn’t be likely that I’d return to KW.

Neither path is clearly better…they just come down to the same question I posed months ago: where do I want to be?

What’s changed is that I can see something tangible in Vancouver…and that makes it much more enticing. Before it was an unknown…a vague idea that I could drop everything, decide to move, and then find a job out west.

Now it’s a real, defined job opportunity that has the potential to draw me out west.

And all this after I spent $108 to apply for MBA school, not two weeks ago. Sigh.

I wish that my heart weren’t so equally torn between two locales. When I’m in one place, then I’m enjoying myself while missing the people in the other place.

Logically, I should help myself out by making the job opportunity too good to pass up, so that the employer will either meet my conditions or not. But if I do that then I might not even get out of the gate, because they’ll just toss my resume out for being silly. And I’d hate to not even get consideration.

I could come up with scenarios all night, when I should be sleeping in advance of a long day of travel.

So you know what? Forget what I wrote a day or two ago…you tell me what you think. Here’s a link to the job.

So whatdya say? Am I crazy for thinking about this? Or would I be crazy for passing it up?

Or am I just crazy, period?